Archive for April, 2010

Doug & Jack reach the North Pole!

After a long day Jack and I are back in Longyearbyen, Norway. We had a long day as Jack and I were airlifted in a MI8 helicopter the last 14 miles to the Geographic North Pole. Then we were quickly put on the AN74 aircraft and flown back to Longyearbyen. Jack had developed a bronchial chest infection...
April 18th, 2010 | Expeditions, Home Page, trek-for-peace | Read More

Hiking closer to the pole

Doug and Jack continued pulling their sleds to the pole today. Still battling southward drifting ice, they managed to hike 9 miles, for about 7 miles of net gain, accounting for the counterproductive drift. Listen to the dispatch here:
April 18th, 2010 | Expeditions, Home Page, trek-for-peace | Read More

First two days of skiing

After being delayed for a few days due to weather, Doug & Jack are off and have started skiing toward the pole. The two arrived at Barneo camp around midday, and got in about 5 hours of skiing before setting up camp at 8 pm. The next day they got in a full day of skiing and made up about 11 miles...
April 17th, 2010 | Expeditions, Home Page, trek-for-peace | Read More

Dennis Decides to Discontinue Trek

  Doug & Dennis in front of the glacier at Tempelfjord Greetings from Longyearbyen, Norway. I appreciate all of your good wishes and messages of support.  I wanted to let you know that after careful deliberation, I have decided to discontinue my journey to the North Pole. The current conditions...
April 16th, 2010 | Expeditions, Home Page, trek-for-peace | Read More

Bad Weather Delays Again

Hey everyone, We have been delayed another day and are hoping to depart Thursday April 15th at 9am (+1 GMT). Our fingers are crossed that weather clears at Barneo but we made the best of it by renting some snowmobiles today and traveled 100km  to the Tempelfjord to the Noorderlicht floating hotel and...
April 15th, 2010 | Expeditions, Featured, trek-for-peace | Read More

Waiting out a Delay

On delay in Longyearbyen, Norway. Cyclone at Barneo Ice Station and on a holding pattern until it lifts. New flight is scheduled for April 14th at 9AM. Doug’s dispatch from Longyearbyen Jack Ashton and Dennis Garcia waiting to depart Doug packing fuel for the stove Doug training...
April 14th, 2010 | Expeditions, Featured, trek-for-peace | Read More

Preparing to Depart

Jack Ashton and Dennis Garcia The crew is prepared and ready to hit the ice tomorrow! Stay tuned for regular updates.
April 12th, 2010 | trek-for-peace | Read More

Doug reaches North Pole with Parker Liautaud

After 8 days of some of the worst conditions I have witnessed on the arctic ocean, Parker and I had to call off the expedition due to a large open water lead many miles long that was impossible to get around to achieve our goal. Throughout the week, Parker and I encountered significant negative southward...
April 12th, 2010 | News | Read More